West Los Angeles Veterans Administration Healthcare Center - Orthopaedic Surgery
Outpatient Parenteral Antimicrobial Therapy (OPAT) Program
The West L.A. VA Healthcare Center has developed an OPAT program, which allows patients to receive parenteral antibiotics at home. This program helps avoid complications associated with long term hospital stays including nosocomial acquired infections and has improved patients’ quality of life and reduced hospital costs.
Who will be qualified for OPAT program
· Patients who are stable on current antimicrobial therapy.
· This program requires patients or care givers' participation and some level of responsibility for their own treatment program.
· Patients must have a home address and a contact phone number.
Process of initiating the consults
· Send HOME CARE SERVICES consult at least 48 hours prior to discharge.
· All patients who will be discharged with antimicrobial agent (s) that require laboratory monitoring such as aminoglycoside or vancomycin need to have drug levels and kidney function checked within 3 days prior to discharge.
· Patients MUST receive 1st dose of prescribed antimicrobial agent in house prior to discharge.
· Patients who have peripheral lines must be evaluated for ease of line replacement to ensure that they can be replaced by home health nurse for treatment duration longer than 3 days.
• MUST ensure that outpatient antibiotic therapy is approved by Infectious Disease Services and arranged by Home Health prior to patient discharge
Contact information:Thuong Tran, Pharm. D. Infectious Disease Clinical Pharmacist TEL (310) 478-3711 Ext. 49813 Pager (310) 268-3461, Pager 5092 FAX (310) 268-3602 Email email@example.com Carrie B Divina, RNC, MSN Community Health Nurse Coordinator TEL (310) 478-3711 Ext. 48381 (818) 895-9552 Pager (310) 268-3461, Pager 3082 ens-newswire.com
This is a web summary of guidelines for the West L.A. VA Healthcare Center orthopaedic surgery resident physicians. It is intended to make your life easier by gathering information that may be useful into one location.
The appearance of hyperlinks does not constitute endorsement by the Department of Veterans Affairs of this Web site or the information, products or services contained therein. VA does not exercise any editorial control over the information you may find at this location or at these linked locations.
Your feedback is encouraged. If you have comments or suggestions contact [Mail to the Chief].